There is high level commitment in the Government to make the Buy Malawi Strategy a success. The State President of the Republic of Malawi, His Excellency Prof Arthur Peter Mutharika is the Champion of the Buy Malawi Strategy and leads the way in mobilising Malawians to resurrect national pride in products and services produced in their own country.
Additionally, the Government has put in place the following eight deliberate measures aimed at guaranteeing the success of the BMS.
1. All public procuring entities are advised to buy at least 60% of their goods and services from Malawi based suppliers of goods and providers of services.
2. All civil servants and public servants in all Government Ministries, Departments, Agencies and Parastatals are obliged to be wearing locally produced clothes every Friday.
3. Declaration for the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development to prioritise allocation of land to local manufacturers or investors seeking to manufacture goods and provide services locally.
4. Declaration that 18th March each year be a Malawi Day dedicated to showcase locally produced goods and services.
5. Call to all hospitality facilities to set aside at least one day in a week to serve Malawian dishes.
6. Call to all Malawians to be patriotic and be the first to patronise local tourism facilities.
7. Call to all commercial banks to emphasise on lending money to enterprises that produce goods and provide services locally, rather than only focussing on enterprises that import finished products for resell.
8. Setting up a fully-fledged Buy Malawi Strategy Secretariat to mobilise and influence the private and public sectors to increase local production and consumption of goods and services.